This month we are focussing on plant based meal ideas. Why not try to introduce more plant based foods this month! A useful way is to decide that Tuesdays for example are going to be meat free! There's lots of options tasty pasta dishes, Thai vegetable curries and lots more! Enjoy x
500g Green or Black Lentils
400ml Full Fat Coconut Milk
Green Saffron Lentil Dahl Spice Mix (available in most supermarkets)
1 tbsp Grated Ginger.
2 cloves garlic
¼ tsp Turmeric
1 red onion
1 tin tomatoes
Veg & Lentil Cottage Pie
1 medium leek
1 large carrot
1 small onion
1 stick celery
100 g split pea red lentils
500 ml organic vegetable stock
100 g frozen peas
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons tomato purée
30 g Parmesan cheese
1 large sweet potato or white potato
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Trim, wash and finely slice the leek. Peel and dice the carrot, onion and celery.
2. Heat a splash of oil in a medium pan on a medium heat, add the leek, carrot, onion and celery. Pop the lid on and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until softened. Add the lentils, stock and peas, then bring to the boil, stirring regularly. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked through.
3. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper, then add the tomato purée. Scrub the sweet potato clean, then coarsely grate it into a bowl, toss with a little oil and a good few gratings of Parmesan.
4. Transfer the filling to a an ovenproof dish and cover with the sweet potato. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potato topping is golden and cooked through.
1 Red Pepper
1 Sweet Potato (medium sized)
1 x tin of Chickpeas
2 tbsp Madras Curry Powder
2 tbsp fresh ginger grated.
1 tin Full Fat Coconut Milk (Thai Gold is good quality)
1 tin Tomatoes
Coriander to serve
1. Chop onion and gently cook in olive for 10 minutes.
2. Add chopped red pepper and cook for 5 mins. Season with Salt and Pepper.
3. When softened add chopped chicken and brown for 8-10 minutes. Then add chopped sweet potato and the curry powder. Leave to cook for further 10 mins.
5. Add coconut milk and tomatoes.
6. Leave to cook for 20 mins on medium heat.
7. Serve with wholegrain brown rice.
© Dun Laoghaire Nutrition Alliance 2020